Skip to main content

MOM (Low battery – charging now)

  
When my friend called me asking on tips on how I manage to get house work done along with an energetic-ever-demanding toddler, I felt on the top of the world. Wow, somebody is actually seeking out help from me. Doesn’t that feel good? But then the truth hit me hard. Who says I get things done along with my baby? Who says that I can help anyone at all when in truth, I am the one in need of help?

I think it’s physically and mentally exhausting to raise a toddler, whose main aim when he wakes up  is ‘I am going to explore everything I can today, even if it means driving my mother mad’. I can actually feel my energy draining by 10 a.m. every day when I try to pump myself with energy as I try to play with my toddler and I think ‘Wow, I actually have the rest of the day to kill’. It’s not easy at all. But then, I wonder, how did people before me manage to do it at all? They are still alive, aren’t they? My parents are alive. Sometimes, I wonder how do other people manage to do it all?

I’d like to think that, nobody does manage to do it all, (if they do seem to make the whole thing appear easy and rosy, it’s important to stay away from them for your own heart’s good, lol, just kidding but honestly, that’s annoying to know). I’d like to believe, that as mothers, we can only survive it by taking it, one day per day.

Of course, I hear people telling me all the time, boys are harder to deal with than girls. I get scared at that thought but then I think – why should it be that way? Both genders comes with their own set of tantrums. I think parents of both girls and boys go through the challenges, except that they are different.

What helps me, I have realized, is getting an outlet. An outlet is a great thing, it can keep you sane and also help you get through each day. It can be anything. For me, it’s a movie, or hitting for a walk or getting a foot massage (that’s sounds, wonderful, doesn’t it). In short, treating yourself can actually do wonders, giving yourself small rewards lets you motivate and brace yourself for what comes next. Because we mothers are working really hard. It doesn’t matter whether somebody appreciates you or not, but it’s really important that as mothers, we care for our feelings as well.

Once in a while, giving yourself a treat is a good thing, like actually rewarding yourself. It works for me. At the end of the day, when I look at my toddler, I don’t like to cringe my face at the thought of what may come the day after. In fact, I want to actually look forward to what surprises are stored in the day that follows.
Often, I look upon google or talk to other mothers looking for ideas on how to actually have carefree phase with a toddler. From time to time, I have realized this- no amount of ideas or tips can guarantee a smooth motherhood phase because as the saying goes – every baby is different. You just have to listen to your own to understand him better.
Anyway, my point is, I don’t think that it’s possible to have an entirely smooth motherhood. The boat does get rocky at times but we have to hang on and really take good care of ourselves. Our dreams and thoughts matter- it’s important that we protect them as we sail along with our babies.

I still have a long journey ahead of me. Simply can’t wait to look what’s in store. Mothers out there, a big shout out for you because you’re doing a great job. Pat yourself and get going. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings of a stay-at-home-mommy

Just a month after I had delivered the baby, one summer evening, I sat down with my husband and told him the words, “I’ll have to quit my job. I want to take care of the baby.” While I began to formulate responses inside my head to defend my point on why I thought it was extremely important that I stay home with the baby, in case he disagreed with me citing that it could be a handful if two people earned (the 21 st   century mantra), he looked at me and simply said, “Alright, sounds good to me. You can probably join back later when he is older. ” I was relieved, largely comforted, that I would be able to cater to the needs of my LO right from home and not worry about breast pumping machines, bottles, scheduling my days, splitting my mind between working on my laptop and attending to my newborn, fighting with the guilt feelings of leaving my baby behind, or worrying about daycare settings and so on. As days rolled into months, we realized that I wouldn’t be getting back to work

Homeschooling is the new normal

  From being a cool ice-cube to having a nervous breakdown (if you’re curious, I broke down in the middle of the road on a friend’s shoulder), a lot has happened lately. I guess it’s the combination of having kids+ covid which is a new kind of challenge. For someone like me, who thought that just being with little kids is hard, throw in a virus like covid, and I found myself going bonkers in late March. I still held my head high, as I got used to seeing the faces of my husband and children all the time. No really, when do we get to miss each other? Image source - alamy.com So, I juggled between a babyhood and toddlerhood as I told myself that this is the hardest year ever. I complained and fretted to friends and family. Well, the upside is that most people are going through similar problems – all are facing the new normal so we usually have the same complaints. And also, the upside is that everybody is at home so I am not envious of people who usually go on vacations. Still, by lat

My leftover ice-cream

It’s so easy when children are young. Like it’s very easy when they are newborn. It’s still easier when they are still learning to walk. It remains easy when they are just learning to talk. And then, all at once, it gets harder when they start to remember things, when they start to demand things, when they start to have preferences of what they should do and what you should do. You start to realize all of your moves have to be pre-planned because of the dire consequences it may have. When my son turned two and a few months more, he learnt that running is an amazing experience so much that the moment the doors are opened, he throws himself across the grass and the air. He doesn’t really care if I am behind him. That’s just the way toddlers are. They don’t care. But this can’t be entirely true. Even when my toddler gets to his highest degree tantrums, there are times when flings himself across my neck into a tight hug. He melts inside me, making me wonder if life could forev