After a baby is born, it usually spends more of the first few day eating, sleeping, crying, crying and more crying. So much that your ears can sometimes pick up cries even when they don’t even exist. My first few days after I gave birth were just blurry, hazy and confusing. Lack of sleep and rest made me incapable of decoding the cries of the newborn. In fact, I think the baby probably obtained extensive luxury in crying blissfully all the time.
What is really amazing is that a baby can actually cry in different patterns, sounds in various pitches. What if I told you that each cry came with a message? Yeah, I rolled my eyes wide when I discovered that a baby is usually talking to you by crying. I always thought babies just cry whenever they wanted something, mostly food. But it so happens that there are various things a baby needs and will cry in different ways to let you know.
When I found myself drowned in my baby’s cries, I did a lot of research to decode the cries. Sometimes, I made sense of the cries but most of the times, it just remained a mystery. I know I am making this sound too far-fetched but hey, if you’d had a baby, you would agree with me.
Anyway, here is a list of what I found from the web and my own experience of what a baby’s cry can mean. Babies cry for various reasons. What the baby could be trying to say is:
1. Please hold me. I just want to be held in your arms.
2. M.I.L.K. All I really need is milk. Right now.
3. I am feeling hot. Please remove that itchy diaper off me.
4. I am feeling cold. Please adjust the damn AC.
5. Sleepy. Terribly sleepy. So I am just going to cry until you put me to sleep.
6. This t-shirt has a tag on it and it’s bothering me way too much.
7. I am wet. Please get me dry clothes.
8. All that milk is making me gassy. I am so full I can’t do anything but cry.
9. I met so many people today. I am all stimulated.
10. I just really want to cry so please just let me be myself.
11. I think I am just missing my mommmy, though I am already in her arms.
12. Let me just cry to piss you off ( I don’t know if babies do this on purpose :P)
More often than not, I felt my baby just relieved some pleasure in crying for no reason at all. Of course, I racked my brains trying to figure out the reason for each of those cries. It took me long to accept that sometimes babies just cry because that’s all they know to do so. Sometimes, I just have let him cry to let him feel better.
The good thing is, as they get older, the crying lessens. You become more proficient in figuring out the cries without any hassles. It usually amounts to hunger, sleepiness or boredom. Now after all the research, thankfully, I am not longer scared of the cries.
About the Author : Chital Mehta loves to explore new books. After becoming a mother, she started this blog to share her experiences as a mother. Apart from being busy with her baby, she makes times for writing, reading and watching movies. She has authored 4 fiction novels. You can find details on her facebook page :Chital Mehta facebook
Write to her : firstname.lastname@example.org