Skip to main content

My obsession with the unthinkable



I have been obsessed with a quite a few things in the past few years, songs, movies, books, mobile, TV shows… just the basic usual stuff. A few weeks back, I wrote a post where I question my obsession with my toddler, for which I still don’t have the answer. But now, I discovered that I am obsessed with the unimaginable – TOYS.

Yes, you read that right! I had never thought my obsession list would ever include something so trivial. But I guess, once you have a child, nothing is trivial anymore. So, anyway, this thanksgiving, I convinced myself that my son MUST have toys that I think are necessary. But, my inner self tells me,
he doesn’t really demand anything.” I hear another voice, “Oh, he can’t live a toy less childhood. Besides, this is the age when he needs to be playing with toys.” And so began my endless search for “The deals” that claim to be selling the best of everything at an affordable, unbelievable price. I analyzed, researched, hunted for toys, which I assumed would fill my son’s days with bliss.

Today evening, when I learnt that the toys had finally arrived in the mailbox, I urged my husband to come along with me to collect the parcel. Perhaps, I had mentioned it more than a dozen times to which he asked – why are you so excited about toys, anyway? I didn’t answer the question right away. Instead, I ignored him and grabbed the parcel towards home, where I excitedly tore up the box that contained treasured possession – TOYS. I opened up one by one, handing them over to my son, observing him in great detail as he welcomed the new guests. I noticed that he wasn’t very interested in the toys because he abandoned them after about five minutes.

I stared at him in disbelief, my insides screaming at him. “What’s wrong with you? You’re a toddler, you’re supposed to be enjoying these toys. Did you read this? It says here that it can keep you engaged for hours together and you have been at it for less than five minutes.”

My son simply walked up to his little cardboard shelf, from which he retrieved a couple of library books asking me to read them to him. After we were done, he picked up his old, shabby ball, calling me for a ball game. Then he looked at me, as if trying to say the things I had not listened before – “This is what I want, read books, throw ball, head out for a walk, a drive with you and papa, play the silliest of games with you, beside me in everything that I do. I know you always walk towards the toy section of the store instead of the grocery section because you are constantly looking for toys to ‘update’ my skills. But I don’t want any of those because they are not as interesting as it is to watch airplanes fly above my head or play through the slide in the park or walk along the pavement where I get to see other people and their dogs or stare at people at the mall or enjoy watching other kids outside or play the chasing game with you or hear you and papa talk endlessly about things that make no sense to me or simply to play on the kitchen floor while you bang your head between chopping and washing and cooking. Once I turn five or six, I am going to have a huge list of demands. So, why don’t you start saving your money than spending it on your obsession about watching me play with toys?”

I was perplexed by this thought, wondering why I hadn’t thought of this earlier. Before I could dwell on it, my son was already pulling me towards the door as he dragged his stroller. He smiled at me as if saying, “The weather is beautiful outside. Can we put this toy episode behind us and enjoy for a while?"


I smiled back, knowing that I finally learning my lesson and getting over my obsession. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings of a stay-at-home-mommy

Just a month after I had delivered the baby, one summer evening, I sat down with my husband and told him the words, “I’ll have to quit my job. I want to take care of the baby.” While I began to formulate responses inside my head to defend my point on why I thought it was extremely important that I stay home with the baby, in case he disagreed with me citing that it could be a handful if two people earned (the 21 st   century mantra), he looked at me and simply said, “Alright, sounds good to me. You can probably join back later when he is older. ” I was relieved, largely comforted, that I would be able to cater to the needs of my LO right from home and not worry about breast pumping machines, bottles, scheduling my days, splitting my mind between working on my laptop and attending to my newborn, fighting with the guilt feelings of leaving my baby behind, or worrying about daycare settings and so on. As days rolled into months, we realized that I wouldn’t be getting back to work

A Baby's diary ( typical baby thoughts)

Hello all, I decided to snatch my mommy’s lappy while she is busy in her messy kitchen, breaking her head with a lot of things. I have been eyeing her lappy since quite long; I finally got to mess with it. She has been talking about me with you all since my birth. But do you really want to know what goes into my head? There are things she doesn’t know about. I am giving you guys a sneak peek into my head. I like to wake up with my mommy which she doesn’t really expect but I can’t really help it. I am so obsessed with her. Sometimes, though she fools me by placing a comforter beside me, giving me the mommy-feel. As if that’ll work. Doesn’t she know a comforter can never be her? Duh! So anyway, I do get fooled a lot of times. Once we’re awake, daddy picks me up. I think I like him; he talks and smiles a lot. And he even lets me stare at his lappy. Sometimes, he lets me watch TV with him (mostly sports) but mommy always switches off the TV. A few minutes later, he is waving

Am I OBSESSED with my baby?

Have you ever felt that you’re losing your mind once you become a mom? Of course, most of us have felt that a dozen times. But has anything like losing things happened to you? Basically, I am not an extremely organized person but I do manage keep my possessions in place. I do end up searching for stuff inside my home most of the times but I always have important things in place, like my wallet, my cards, my mobile and the basic stuff like that. But in the past year, I ended up misplacing things so badly that people around looked at me with a bewildered expression, “Are you really normal? Is this woman nuts?” with my husband telling me, “I should get myself checked.” I laughed at all the comments and went through living my life. Just recently, I dropped my debit card at a parking lot, unaware that I had lost it until I got a call from a random stranger to collect it. As I drove to collect my lost card (which I hadn’t discovered until I got the call), I wondered for the lif