Skip to main content

For the fatherly men out there…




While I have written a lot about parenthood that solely talks about mothers and babies, I have overlooked the involvement of fathers. Just as women step into motherhood with a whole new set of transformations, so do the men. But it’s easy to blame them, because they don’t seem to be able to process the simplest of things that women tell them. Yeah, just read further…

My husband has been near about perfect and with acceptable flaws, you know how it works, both the partners’ flaws go hand in hand, kind of like a balancing act. But once the baby came, I busied myself into my new role, studying the entire process of babyhood, keeping my wits intact for a demanding baby that seems to grow more demanding as he grows and worrying about his future every single day.

Where is the time to actually look at what the husband is going through? Immediately, after the birth of the baby, I don’t even recall if I had actually checked on how my husband was feeling or looking after himself for pretty good months. Of course, I wasn’t to be blamed. You can blame the baby,pah. Poor little thing, baby was just doing baby job. Crying, eating, sleeping and more crying.

So anyway, here we are, a year later, now entering the phase of toddlerhood after battling through babyhood. There were a number of scenic adventures, I must say. The other day, I was just making rotis for my groaning tummy while I asked my husband to keep a watch on my 13 month old son who would do anything to grab my attention. He just needed MOMMY. But I wouldn’t give up. I demanded that my husband be able to distract him for a while. Poor chap tried every trick but nothing pleased me because the baby was tugging at my legs.

That’s when I said, “How can you not know what to play with the baby? I play with him all day. Can’t you just take care of him this few minutes?” And that’s when the image of being a near-about-perfect-husband starts breaking. I wanted a husband who can look after the baby just the way I do.
And my complaints don’t end here….

“My friend’s husband takes care of the baby for a whole two hours. Why cannot you do the same?”

“You have to get creative and play with him. Use your ideas.”

“Just feed him dinner. Why can’t you have some patience?”

“I am doing all the house work and taking care of the baby as well. All you do is sit in front of the laptop and now the TV.”

“If he is crying, do something to make him stop. I am in the kitchen, can’t you see?”

So yeah, there it goes. I become the mad-screaming-lost-my-mind wife when I see my husband struggling to get a t-shirt across my son’s neck but lately he succeeded, what with umpteen failures. And then one day, he called up from work and said he would be late for dinner, probably not even for dinner time which meant I would be with the baby for a whole 12 hours from morning until night.

Now, now, don’t get me wrong. Just like all mothers, I love being with my baby, he is the apple of my eye after all. But getting off each other’s throats for a few minutes does a lot of wonders to both of us, which is when we are desperately in need of ‘DADDY’. But daddy doesn’t come home one evening.
It finally sinks into me how important a husband can be, and sometimes just his presence can help things move along. I know it’s easy to say ‘mothers are the first teachers for their babies’. But so are fathers, in their own way.

Daddy job –

1.       Hear all criticism from mommy and pass it through the other ear.
2.       Try hard to deal with the baby but baby can be uncooperative at times.
3.       Understand that mommy can be crazy a lot of times but she’ll be fine soon.
4.       Play with the baby in best possible way at least for fifteen minutes.
5.       Never comment on the food even if there is no salt in it. :P
6.       Listen. Listen. Listen. Mommy will be happy if you just listen.
7.       Never judge mommy’s parenting skills. It’s dangerous for you.

Well, for all the husbands who have turned fathers out there, I think you all are the best fathers and you deserve credit for whatever that is you do.

Cheers to the fathers and near-about-perfect husbands!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings of a stay-at-home-mommy

Just a month after I had delivered the baby, one summer evening, I sat down with my husband and told him the words, “I’ll have to quit my job. I want to take care of the baby.” While I began to formulate responses inside my head to defend my point on why I thought it was extremely important that I stay home with the baby, in case he disagreed with me citing that it could be a handful if two people earned (the 21 st   century mantra), he looked at me and simply said, “Alright, sounds good to me. You can probably join back later when he is older. ” I was relieved, largely comforted, that I would be able to cater to the needs of my LO right from home and not worry about breast pumping machines, bottles, scheduling my days, splitting my mind between working on my laptop and attending to my newborn, fighting with the guilt feelings of leaving my baby behind, or worrying about daycare settings and so on. As days rolled into months, we realized that I wouldn’t be getting back to work

Am I OBSESSED with my baby?

Have you ever felt that you’re losing your mind once you become a mom? Of course, most of us have felt that a dozen times. But has anything like losing things happened to you? Basically, I am not an extremely organized person but I do manage keep my possessions in place. I do end up searching for stuff inside my home most of the times but I always have important things in place, like my wallet, my cards, my mobile and the basic stuff like that. But in the past year, I ended up misplacing things so badly that people around looked at me with a bewildered expression, “Are you really normal? Is this woman nuts?” with my husband telling me, “I should get myself checked.” I laughed at all the comments and went through living my life. Just recently, I dropped my debit card at a parking lot, unaware that I had lost it until I got a call from a random stranger to collect it. As I drove to collect my lost card (which I hadn’t discovered until I got the call), I wondered for the lif

My leftover ice-cream

It’s so easy when children are young. Like it’s very easy when they are newborn. It’s still easier when they are still learning to walk. It remains easy when they are just learning to talk. And then, all at once, it gets harder when they start to remember things, when they start to demand things, when they start to have preferences of what they should do and what you should do. You start to realize all of your moves have to be pre-planned because of the dire consequences it may have. When my son turned two and a few months more, he learnt that running is an amazing experience so much that the moment the doors are opened, he throws himself across the grass and the air. He doesn’t really care if I am behind him. That’s just the way toddlers are. They don’t care. But this can’t be entirely true. Even when my toddler gets to his highest degree tantrums, there are times when flings himself across my neck into a tight hug. He melts inside me, making me wonder if life could forev