Skip to main content

Being a parent, Perfect or real

I cried today along with my toddler. He does cry very often because little kids do that to get attention or to get a message across. Also, they seem to have a meltdown every now and then. So, crying comes easily to them since birth. For long, I told myself that I can deal with all the meltdowns and be calm because I read somewhere that it’s important to be cool and composed with kids all the time.

But I broke the rules. I raised my voice. I broke down. I cried even as my toddler shed tears. We did have a good reason but to someone reading this, it would seem silly. It did seem silly to me as well, that is, until it happened to me. My son has his rough days sometimes because of constipation because kids can be picky eaters or maybe he simply doesn’t want to poop or maybe I messed up his diet (I am trying hard to beat the guilt). A google search suggested that it was normal for kids to constipate and that they grow out of it soon. So did my doctor tell the same thing. It sounded reassuring but not for long.

When day two rolled in, there was simply no relief with my son clutching his tummy in pain. I kept calm for as long as I could, telling myself that this was just a rough day and that, we would grow out of it soon. Midday, when nothing I did worked, I called my husband and cried – “he won’t poop. I don’t know what to do.” My husband promptly said he was coming back home to rescue me. (My son thinks I am a supermom and I think my husband is a superman while in reality, we are messed up humans).

Quite often, my husband has commented that writing a blog about parenting and being a parent aren’t the same things. A part of me thinks he may be right.

When my son finally found relief after a long struggle that involved (car rides, laxatives, juices and list of rhymes), I breathed a sigh of relief. Even as I winded down for the day, I realized a few things.

1.       Its okay to cry in front of your kids (It’s impossible to show your best self all the time).
2.       There will be times when you can simply be there for your child but can’t do much.

I know I didn’t have to deal with a whole lot today. But I do know, there are lot of parents dealing with so many other things when it comes to kids. I can't say enough for the courage they carry in their eyes every single day. Perhaps, as the saying goes, “There is no such thing as being a perfect parent, but one can only be a REAL parent.”


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Musings of a stay-at-home-mommy

Just a month after I had delivered the baby, one summer evening, I sat down with my husband and told him the words, “I’ll have to quit my job. I want to take care of the baby.” While I began to formulate responses inside my head to defend my point on why I thought it was extremely important that I stay home with the baby, in case he disagreed with me citing that it could be a handful if two people earned (the 21 st   century mantra), he looked at me and simply said, “Alright, sounds good to me. You can probably join back later when he is older. ” I was relieved, largely comforted, that I would be able to cater to the needs of my LO right from home and not worry about breast pumping machines, bottles, scheduling my days, splitting my mind between working on my laptop and attending to my newborn, fighting with the guilt feelings of leaving my baby behind, or worrying about daycare settings and so on. As days rolled into months, we realized that I wouldn’t be getting back to work

Am I OBSESSED with my baby?

Have you ever felt that you’re losing your mind once you become a mom? Of course, most of us have felt that a dozen times. But has anything like losing things happened to you? Basically, I am not an extremely organized person but I do manage keep my possessions in place. I do end up searching for stuff inside my home most of the times but I always have important things in place, like my wallet, my cards, my mobile and the basic stuff like that. But in the past year, I ended up misplacing things so badly that people around looked at me with a bewildered expression, “Are you really normal? Is this woman nuts?” with my husband telling me, “I should get myself checked.” I laughed at all the comments and went through living my life. Just recently, I dropped my debit card at a parking lot, unaware that I had lost it until I got a call from a random stranger to collect it. As I drove to collect my lost card (which I hadn’t discovered until I got the call), I wondered for the lif

My leftover ice-cream

It’s so easy when children are young. Like it’s very easy when they are newborn. It’s still easier when they are still learning to walk. It remains easy when they are just learning to talk. And then, all at once, it gets harder when they start to remember things, when they start to demand things, when they start to have preferences of what they should do and what you should do. You start to realize all of your moves have to be pre-planned because of the dire consequences it may have. When my son turned two and a few months more, he learnt that running is an amazing experience so much that the moment the doors are opened, he throws himself across the grass and the air. He doesn’t really care if I am behind him. That’s just the way toddlers are. They don’t care. But this can’t be entirely true. Even when my toddler gets to his highest degree tantrums, there are times when flings himself across my neck into a tight hug. He melts inside me, making me wonder if life could forev