Skip to main content

What is the deal with ‘Terrible threes’?


Nobody talks about terrible threes. We all know about the term ‘terrible twos’ and I wonder why they didn’t think of inventing the term terrible threes. Because the truth is that after terrible twos, it doesn’t get better at all. In fact, it gets messy and terrifying when a toddler steps into the phase of threes.

Now you know why I am talking about this? I am there, you guessed it right. I can show it to you (well, in words) rather than just telling you about it.

As Wednesdays happen to be my toddler’s day at home, I always try to plan at least half the day outside, so we don’t end up pulling each other’s hair (which usually happens 80% of the time). But the problem with letting my toddler outside comes with a new set of challenges. Gone were the days when my little munchkin was a defenseless infant who would get hit by other kids often and I had to protect him all the time. Now, my major time is spent in protecting other kids because my toddler is ready to attack anytime wants to use his arms and legs effectively. Perhaps, it’s a part of being a toddler where in he gets curious to see how it feels to touch other kids or simply push them around.

But this is also the time when you want to bombard the toddler with rules which he breaks every single time. I put down my foot and made it very clear that if he were to touch or push any kid, we would return home from his usually story time session. He seemed to understand this and nodded and promised to comply by the rules. For an added measure, I had my husband also do some lecturing.

Today, when I entered the little classroom where all toddler of ages one to four come with their parents for a story time session, I whispered a silent prayer (I do that almost every Wednesdays) for a peaceful hour. The good news is that my toddler did manage not to touch, hit or push any other kid (Yay!) but the flip side is that he ended up crawling beneath the chairs (not once, but thrice), ran around the room disrupting the session, was told at least five times by the lady in charge to be seated, tried to get too close when a live animal session started and spent most of the time squirming and wriggling on the floor.

By the end of the session, I was still holding my breath almost waiting for someone to cast their dismissive frown towards me. When we were out, I couldn’t help feeling relieved. My son does a bit of running around for some more time and is clearly exhausted. But he will refuse and wail when I tell him it’s time to go home. Thus, the battle begins until we reach all the way home and continues as we struggle to get through the lunch hour. Nap time is again another battle because as much as he wants to sleep, he also feels revolted with the idea of shutting his eyes which he thinks is a waste of time.

Soon, my bucket of patience is all spent, and I am screaming like a mad woman and I remind myself to walk outside the room, so I can do some pep-talk with myself. He follows me, wailing and hurt and just looks at me and orders me – laugh mummy. Laugh mummy.

I am not laughing, I say as I glare at him, I am angry, and I don’t want to laugh right now.

Laugh mummy. Laugh mummy, he continues until I force myself to show my teeth.

There, he has diffused the situation again. Toddlers are still terrible at age three like age two, except that they have an extra level of smartness at being terrible.

Somebody tell me that there is no such thing as terrible fours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings of a stay-at-home-mommy

Just a month after I had delivered the baby, one summer evening, I sat down with my husband and told him the words, “I’ll have to quit my job. I want to take care of the baby.” While I began to formulate responses inside my head to defend my point on why I thought it was extremely important that I stay home with the baby, in case he disagreed with me citing that it could be a handful if two people earned (the 21 st   century mantra), he looked at me and simply said, “Alright, sounds good to me. You can probably join back later when he is older. ” I was relieved, largely comforted, that I would be able to cater to the needs of my LO right from home and not worry about breast pumping machines, bottles, scheduling my days, splitting my mind between working on my laptop and attending to my newborn, fighting with the guilt feelings of leaving my baby behind, or worrying about daycare settings and so on. As days rolled into months, we realized that I wouldn’t be getting back to work

Homeschooling is the new normal

  From being a cool ice-cube to having a nervous breakdown (if you’re curious, I broke down in the middle of the road on a friend’s shoulder), a lot has happened lately. I guess it’s the combination of having kids+ covid which is a new kind of challenge. For someone like me, who thought that just being with little kids is hard, throw in a virus like covid, and I found myself going bonkers in late March. I still held my head high, as I got used to seeing the faces of my husband and children all the time. No really, when do we get to miss each other? Image source - alamy.com So, I juggled between a babyhood and toddlerhood as I told myself that this is the hardest year ever. I complained and fretted to friends and family. Well, the upside is that most people are going through similar problems – all are facing the new normal so we usually have the same complaints. And also, the upside is that everybody is at home so I am not envious of people who usually go on vacations. Still, by lat

My leftover ice-cream

It’s so easy when children are young. Like it’s very easy when they are newborn. It’s still easier when they are still learning to walk. It remains easy when they are just learning to talk. And then, all at once, it gets harder when they start to remember things, when they start to demand things, when they start to have preferences of what they should do and what you should do. You start to realize all of your moves have to be pre-planned because of the dire consequences it may have. When my son turned two and a few months more, he learnt that running is an amazing experience so much that the moment the doors are opened, he throws himself across the grass and the air. He doesn’t really care if I am behind him. That’s just the way toddlers are. They don’t care. But this can’t be entirely true. Even when my toddler gets to his highest degree tantrums, there are times when flings himself across my neck into a tight hug. He melts inside me, making me wonder if life could forev